20.5.11

It's a Celebration

First off, I'd like to apologize for any weird symbols or grammatical
wacks. I'm currently typing this on my phone while sitting in the
teachers' lounge at school.

The building is a chaotic today as the seniors are rounding up their
final day as students and the elementary tots have been parading the
halls, awaiting their spring production.

This morning I attended a small ceremony in which the outgoing class
was presented champagne, cake and farewell wishes from the teachers. I
was asked to present them some words in English and all I could really
think to say---besides congrats, of course---was that "it will only
get better from here."

I thought back to my graduation ceremony and remembered how excited
and scared I was about the unknown and how I never wanted to get old.
I wondered what was going through their heads and if they thought I
was just being nice when I said what I did.

But I was quickly presented with a shirt to sign. In Georgia it is a
custom to have your classmates (and possibly teachers) sign your shirt
with marker. It is in a lot of ways like our yearbook tradition, only
a lot more personal.

Soon all 8 wanted me to sign and take a group picture, even though I
had never taught or spoken with any of them before.

It was a bit flattering, but more so humbling. Kids here appreciate
tradition, customs,family and guests a bit more than at home---at
least at an earlier age.

And I may not necessarily miss trying to teach them English, I will in
fact miss the interaction.

--
Sent from my mobile device

No comments: